Sunday 23 February 2014

A decade

Measures of time always seem more impressive in words than numbers. 10 years doesn't nearly carry the magnitude of 'a decade'. But in the case of my knee, a decade is definitely more in place. February 5 2004 was the day when, in hindsight, my life changed, forever. 
What seemed an innocent enough knee injury over time changed into something far more permanent. It brought me to where I am today. 
Four operations, well over six months on crutches and countless hours rehabbing. And still, twice a week I head to the training room to faithfully work through my exercises. Ever adding to the hours in the gym. A quick crunch of numbers and a careful estimate now puts me on over 1400 hours. 86.400 minutes. A decade. Perhaps numbers are more impressive than words.
I am proud with where I am today. I'm physically stronger than I have ever been, throwing myself into weight training and pushing myself harder every week. I supersede the goals I set, and keep setting new ones. It challenges me. Not just physically. But mentally too. Different exercises, challenging exercises, they keep the process fresh. 
I no longer try to want what I can't have. I still want to run. Desperately. I can envision myself running an endurance marathon. The brainwashing monotone left-right left-right. For hours on end. I miss it. But I try not to want it. And that is progress. 





No comments:

Post a Comment