Monday 25 May 2015

A Tale of Two Cities: Groningen - a city of students

At long last, a post about Groningen. For a while I did not know what to write about, without just ending up writing restaurant and bar reviews. Those might happen at some point, but not now.
Groningen is a student city. It is a big aspect of life in the city. It means the city has a certain vibrance (yes, I too have stumbled out of a bar at sunrise) but also room for stores that sell things cheaply. Of course there are the 'dollar store' type shops, but there are also shops that are slightly nicer, but still have almost anything you need, from arts and crafts to sports to traveling at a decent price.

One of these shops is 'Flying Tiger' (www.flying-tiger.nl)on the Vismarkt. 


I hadn't stepped inside before but decided today, to take a look. It's quite similar to Søstrene Grene (www.grenes.dk) on the Grote Markt and has truly almost anything you can imagine. I managed to contain myself and only buy some candles.


They have quite a collection of different colours and models of candles.
In the kitchen section these cutting/serving boards caught my eye, but I managed to contain myself ;-)


The prices are more than decent, perfect for a student or a tourist passing by!

A bit down the block is another fairly new store, even more focused on sustainability than Flying Tiger, Waar (www.watiswaar.nl)


Selling sustainable gifts. Truly nice things, that you can gift (or keep for yourself) without any guilt as they focus on using recycled materials, fairtrade and so on. 

Tomorrow, hopefully I will stop by a chocolate shop, as well as a candy shop that definitely deserve some of my attention. Groningen has tons to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment